Many of you have heard by now that probably 200 people died and thousands fell sick just yesterday in San Marc, Artibonite, about 70KM NW of PAP. It was only confirmed today, previously seen to be acting like Cholera, but not confirmed in the lab until today. And it is spreading like, well a Cholera epidemic. It is on the Isle of Goncave and reports are that it has reached the famous slum/suburb of PAP called Cite Soleil. I am sure it will be in PAP proper tomorrow or the next day. I'm taking a break from TB this weekend to head up with a few other folks (and a crate of alcohol, hand wash, and IV fluids) to go up to Artibonite and try to treat people since they are completely overwhelmed.
This is the feared epidemic that everyone expected after the earthquake and hadn't yet come (well, lots of typhoid, but that was more an upsurge in the endemic....) I can't imagine what will happen when it hits the city. We are not prepared....
And its sort of amazing to be part of the live reports coming in. We knew about this before it hit the papers (they were calling us to ask if we knew anything) and before it hit major health organizations....we need major mobilization here now, or there will be trouble!
If you want to send anything down, let me know, and I can direct you to the folks to donate to...
No comments:
Post a Comment